Articles Tagged ‘Brian Beck’
Man loses 300 pounds after failed WLS?
03/06/2013 by Yvonne McCarthy • 8 Comments | Leave a Comment »
This morning a story was featured on Good Morning America. Chris Powell is a beautiful soul and I can’t be grateful enough that he said he wasn’t for or against weight loss surgery but he mentioned he has seen many after surgery for help with weight loss. This is a misleading statement because his clients wouldn’t be WLS post-ops who kept the weight off. The words that sent an arrow through my heart…”Brian was so busy focusing on altering his body that he didn’t change his mind and that’s where the transformation happens. Then he got it. He learned from his mistake. And then he said I’m going to do this the right way. I’m going to walk my dog. I’m going to start one step at a time.” I know Chris meant the right way was by making the transformation in his head but it sounds like weight loss surgery was the wrong way.
Chris made some excellent points that I’ve been talking about for years.
With every transformation we need to surround ourselves with people who love us unconditionally.
Find another purpose that feels much better than food ever did. Always have something to look forward to more than food.
Most importantly he mentioned that after you quit getting the thrill of seeing the scale move and getting all those compliments, you have to find more happiness in service to others.
Where are the stories about those who figured it out the first time around after surgery? We have to work just as hard every day to maintain our weight loss. This isn’t about me….it’s about all of us who have gotten our lives back. While some haven’t kept it all off they are still 100 pounds plus ahead of the game. Watching someone freed from their bed, wheelchair or walker is a miracle to me. Seeing someone resolve their diabetes is a miracle. Some of us have damaged our bodies so intense exercise isn’t an option but there are still ways to move our bodies.
For years I’ve been writing People Magazine when they publish the issue about people losing half their weight. They don’t want my story because I had surgery and they really don’t understand how many times we’ve lost half our weight only to gain it back. Why can’t they celebrate those who have kept it off period? It is always funny when I hear how weight loss surgery doesn’t work but the moment someone loses a great deal of weight quickly they are immediately accused of having surgery.
I want this post to be understood. Brian is to be congratulated for figuring it out no matter when it was. Chris knows how to teach people how to keep the weight off but I hope some day he’ll learn more about our community. Please don’t leave negative comments about either of them.
The cynic in me says no one wants to do positive stories on WLS because it just isn’t good television.
Maybe some day….in my lifetime…the stigma will go away forever.
Who is Bariatric Girl?
Musician, Artist, Photographer,computer geek and weight loss surgery aficionado. On March 30th, 2001, I had weight loss surgery weighing in at 260 pounds. Since that day I have lost and maintained a 130 pound loss. Yoga and walking my dog were the only exercise I was getting until I started with an instructor and creator of "Body Juggling". Click on the picture on the bottom of this page and it will take you to the site. Read More »
Search Bariatric Girl
Bariatric Girl's Favorites
- "All of Me" the movie The ‘Girls’ have been friends for years, bonding over hopes, dreams, food, and the shared experience of being obese. But, now, as some pursue weight-loss surgery, their center has shifted and upset everything they knew about happiness, friendship, and lov
- A book you MUST get! Thriving! TRIUMPH over TRAUMA Thriving! Truimph over Trauma
- Banded Living with Gloria and Sandi Wonderful lap band site
- Bariatric After Life Check out Cari’s blog!
- Bariatric Daily
- Bariatric Eating
- Bariatric Pal Great site!
- Bariatric Regain Facebook Page
- Bariatric Surgery Source
- Bariatric TV Great Bariatric TV!
- BariatricGirl Facebook Page Join my facebook page!
- Food Coach Me – Bariatric Recipes Great bariatric recipes!
- Frank's Place
- Get Help Get Happy Dr. Connie Stapleton!
- Lap Band Gal
- Mary Jo Rapini
- Obesity Action Coalition
- Obesity Help Been hanging out for 10 years!
- Once upon a time in the land of cheese and sunkist
- The Weight Loss Surgery Channel See my show WLS Journeys!
- The World According to Eggface Awesome stuff!
- WLSFA.org (Please join today) Join the WLSFA!
Bariatric Girl's Favorite Products
- A Product Name
- Bariatric Eating Peanut Butter Cookie Protein WOW is this good!
- BariMart Shop for all supplements bariatric!
- Premier Protein Convenient to take anywhere!
Call to undefined function get_flickrRSS()