Articles Tagged ‘helping the obese’
I cried for an obese man
08/30/2011 by Yvonne McCarthy • 41 Comments | Leave a Comment »
A couple of weeks ago I was driving to an appointment and I saw a really large man walking down the street. Because of his size and the near 100 degree temperature, I knew he had to be extremely uncomfortable. As I pulled into my parking place I glanced in my rear view mirror and watched this man trip with a force that propelled him like a rocket to the concrete. I bolted from my car and ran to him…his arm was already bloody.
“Let me help you up”. He had salt and pepper hair and perhaps the kindest sky blue eyes I have ever seen.
With a perfect Texas drawl he said “Little lady you’re gonna have to pack a little more lead in the rear to help me up!” My heart was breaking for him. I grabbed him by his good arm and we rocked….1, 2, 3, and I pulled with everything I had. No matter how much I wanted to help this man, I couldn’t get him off the ground. He explained he was walking to work and I at first got the impression he was trying to get some exercise. I asked him to stay put and I’d get some help and as I ran into the building, there were just a few tiny women and elderly people that could be of no help. By the time I got back out, a man had stopped to help him up. He was hurt….I told him there was a doctor inside, would he please come in? I know he was both surprised and ashamed that I would help him. He chuckled and said he was alright (he wasn’t). As he walked out of my sight he said “It’s time to go on that diet”.
Of course I knew he’d been on hundreds of diets, just like I had. It was the perfect time to have shared my story but yet it wasn’t. I wish I had at least gotten his contact information so that maybe my signature on my email would perhaps spark a conversation.
Maybe he didn’t have a car and had to go into work anyway for fear of losing his job because of his size. Maybe he couldn’t afford to call for an ambulance. So many maybes. Every day since then I have considered waiting at that parking space to see if I could locate him again. He felt so much embarrassment and I wanted to tell him that I knew there was a perfectly loving man inside trying to get out. I wanted to tell him so many things but most of all that I didn’t see him as just a morbidly obese man….that he was just as valid and worthy as anybody and the shell he lived in did not make him “less than”.
I fell a few weeks before that and was in extreme pain so I could only imagine what he was dealing with. Tears ran down my face for the rest of the day. Call me silly for wanting to do this but I’m going back to try to find him. I want him to know why I didn’t judge him that day.
And why I cried.
Who is Bariatric Girl?
Musician, Artist, Photographer,computer geek and weight loss surgery aficionado. On March 30th, 2001, I had weight loss surgery weighing in at 260 pounds. Since that day I have lost and maintained a 130 pound loss. Yoga and walking my dog were the only exercise I was getting until I started with an instructor and creator of "Body Juggling". Click on the picture on the bottom of this page and it will take you to the site. Read More »
Search Bariatric Girl
Bariatric Girl's Favorites
- "All of Me" the movie The ‘Girls’ have been friends for years, bonding over hopes, dreams, food, and the shared experience of being obese. But, now, as some pursue weight-loss surgery, their center has shifted and upset everything they knew about happiness, friendship, and lov
- A book you MUST get! Thriving! TRIUMPH over TRAUMA Thriving! Truimph over Trauma
- Banded Living with Gloria and Sandi Wonderful lap band site
- Bariatric After Life Check out Cari’s blog!
- Bariatric Daily
- Bariatric Eating
- Bariatric Pal Great site!
- Bariatric Regain Facebook Page
- Bariatric Surgery Source
- Bariatric TV Great Bariatric TV!
- BariatricGirl Facebook Page Join my facebook page!
- Food Coach Me – Bariatric Recipes Great bariatric recipes!
- Frank's Place
- Get Help Get Happy Dr. Connie Stapleton!
- Lap Band Gal
- Mary Jo Rapini
- Obesity Action Coalition
- Obesity Help Been hanging out for 10 years!
- Once upon a time in the land of cheese and sunkist
- The Weight Loss Surgery Channel See my show WLS Journeys!
- The World According to Eggface Awesome stuff!
- WLSFA.org (Please join today) Join the WLSFA!
Bariatric Girl's Favorite Products
- A Product Name
- Bariatric Eating Peanut Butter Cookie Protein WOW is this good!
- BariMart Shop for all supplements bariatric!
- Premier Protein Convenient to take anywhere!
Call to undefined function get_flickrRSS()