Giving Oprah a weight loss surgery break.
Posted on 08/20/2009 by Yvonne McCarthy / 2 Comments / Leave a Comment »
Today I heard Oprah and Dr. Oz are in the process of suing several companies who claimed they endorsed a particular product…one is called acai berry. After this product appeared on the show, the company went crazy selling the stuff, touting endorsement with pictures of both Oprah and Dr. Oz on the product. They finally said “not so fast”. Lately it seems I can’t go anywhere on the internet without beng assualted by acai berry ads. This is the phenomena of Oprah. Any time she endorses anything or even looks like she is, the product becomes an overnight success.
So let’s assume Oprah were to have weight loss surgery. First of all she has to deal with the cameras on her 24/7.
Will she fail?
Or scarier, will she succeed?
If she succeeds, I can only imagine all the masses of uneducated people following suit….wanting surgery….thinking it is a magic pill. As much as Oprah does, if she were to have WLS she would cause thousands to suddenly seek it out. There are not enough docs or facilities available to handle all the people that would follow her. And then she would have to deal with the possible deaths that would could occur from sheer numbers of percentages. That would be more than she or the Oprah empire could handle.
Oprah is also human and surely she has fear just like the rest of us. Don’t you believe that she is also feeling like she may fail yet again just like we all thought? And if she doesn’t fail and actually makes it work, there will be a massive stampede. In a way Oprah is between a rock and a hard place. Even if she spent tons of time educating people about the process there would still be the irresponsible souls that would do it anyway. When they fail because of inadequate education, it would be Oprah’s fault.
Wow, never have I been so grateful not to be in Oprah’s place. Yep…. she has fame and fortune but not only does it not make you happy, sometimes it is the very reason you have backed yourself into a corner that you can’t get out of.
Be careful what you ask for….
Be grateful for what you have….
And most importantly, no one has a perfect life because of being skinny or having tons of money.
And best of all…maybe…just maybe the acai berry will go away.
Leave a Comment on Facebook
Who is Bariatric Girl?
Musician, Artist, Photographer,computer geek and weight loss surgery aficionado. On March 30th, 2001, I had weight loss surgery weighing in at 260 pounds. Since that day I have lost and maintained a 130 pound loss. Yoga and walking my dog were the only exercise I was getting until I started with an instructor and creator of "Body Juggling". Click on the picture on the bottom of this page and it will take you to the site. Read More »
Search Bariatric Girl
Bariatric Girl's Favorites
- "All of Me" the movie The ‘Girls’ have been friends for years, bonding over hopes, dreams, food, and the shared experience of being obese. But, now, as some pursue weight-loss surgery, their center has shifted and upset everything they knew about happiness, friendship, and lov
- A book you MUST get! Thriving! TRIUMPH over TRAUMA Thriving! Truimph over Trauma
- Banded Living with Gloria and Sandi Wonderful lap band site
- Bariatric After Life Check out Cari’s blog!
- Bariatric Daily
- Bariatric Eating
- Bariatric Pal Great site!
- Bariatric Regain Facebook Page
- Bariatric Surgery Source
- Bariatric TV Great Bariatric TV!
- BariatricGirl Facebook Page Join my facebook page!
- Food Coach Me – Bariatric Recipes Great bariatric recipes!
- Frank's Place
- Get Help Get Happy Dr. Connie Stapleton!
- Lap Band Gal
- Mary Jo Rapini
- Obesity Action Coalition
- Obesity Help Been hanging out for 10 years!
- Once upon a time in the land of cheese and sunkist
- The Weight Loss Surgery Channel See my show WLS Journeys!
- The World According to Eggface Awesome stuff!
- WLSFA.org (Please join today) Join the WLSFA!
Bariatric Girl's Favorite Products
- A Product Name
- Bariatric Eating Peanut Butter Cookie Protein WOW is this good!
- BariMart Shop for all supplements bariatric!
- Premier Protein Convenient to take anywhere!
Call to undefined function get_flickrRSS()
2 Comments on “Giving Oprah a weight loss surgery break.”
Is Oprah good for women?…
I think Oprah has done great things, changed people’s lives, has educated herself and others along the way but there is one area where I felt she was biased. She made great strides regarding food addiction. Her series about food addiction on OWN was…
This іs verу іnteresting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared уour
web ѕіte іn mу social networks!