Articles Tagged ‘Carnie Wilson’
Our community should give Carnie Wilson a break.
03/25/2012 by Yvonne McCarthy • 16 Comments | Leave a Comment »
Carnie Wilson is the reason I had weight loss surgery. Some of us affectionately call each other Carnie babies. My surgery was about a year after hers. In 2000 there was no aftercare and maybe a couple of places you could even discuss it online. We forget how much ridicule Carnie had to endure going first and going so publicly. The moment I heard about gastric bypass I made the first available appointment for a consultation. I literally did fifteen minutes of research.
Now Carnie has decided to have a second surgery twelve years later and the comments under the online articles are so incredibly cruel. Not only from the “normies” (as I certainly expected) but also from the weight loss surgery community. Revisions are very common so we should be accustomed to those. Many of us regain so we should be accustomed to that too. At the very least if you don’t have something kind to say… don’t say it. We have enough problem fighting the stigma of WLS without our own community helping. Since I have been volunteering for many years I’ve noticed some particular circumstances that seem to cause regain. In no particular order:
1. Having babies. Almost every woman who has a baby after WLS fights regain.
2. Not being educated properly about the psychological aspects of our disease.
3. Being super morbidly obese before surgery. It’s just plain harder for those folks.
4. Being a woman. (Men have a far superior metabolism)
Carnie also has to do it in the public eye. How well would you do if after your surgery paparazzi was there every time you left your house to record every pound regained or lost? I would have crumbled. She went first so the process was a little easier for the rest of us and yet some of us pound her at the first opportunity.
She deserves to be happy with her decision. I don’t know anyone who is perfect enough to throw stones so let’s give her another chance to be healthy and avoid diabetes. I’ve never seen it in the “WLS life rules” that you don’t get another chance. I would really appreciate some support for her in the People magazine online article linked below. People Magazine has particularly not given us much of a chance because every time they publish the “Half Their Size” issue we are intentionally left out. The cover says “no surgery, no gimmicks”. Aren’t you happy to know we used a gimmick?
Thanks in advance for voicing your support.
Thanks in advance for not posting if you are against giving her support.
Online People Magazine article
We are so strong when we pull together and nothing would make me happier than People Magazine hearing us roar!
Who is Bariatric Girl?
Musician, Artist, Photographer,computer geek and weight loss surgery aficionado. On March 30th, 2001, I had weight loss surgery weighing in at 260 pounds. Since that day I have lost and maintained a 130 pound loss. Yoga and walking my dog were the only exercise I was getting until I started with an instructor and creator of "Body Juggling". Click on the picture on the bottom of this page and it will take you to the site. Read More »
Search Bariatric Girl
Bariatric Girl's Favorites
- "All of Me" the movie The ‘Girls’ have been friends for years, bonding over hopes, dreams, food, and the shared experience of being obese. But, now, as some pursue weight-loss surgery, their center has shifted and upset everything they knew about happiness, friendship, and lov
- A book you MUST get! Thriving! TRIUMPH over TRAUMA Thriving! Truimph over Trauma
- Banded Living with Gloria and Sandi Wonderful lap band site
- Bariatric After Life Check out Cari’s blog!
- Bariatric Daily
- Bariatric Eating
- Bariatric Pal Great site!
- Bariatric Regain Facebook Page
- Bariatric Surgery Source
- Bariatric TV Great Bariatric TV!
- BariatricGirl Facebook Page Join my facebook page!
- Food Coach Me – Bariatric Recipes Great bariatric recipes!
- Frank's Place
- Get Help Get Happy Dr. Connie Stapleton!
- Lap Band Gal
- Mary Jo Rapini
- Obesity Action Coalition
- Obesity Help Been hanging out for 10 years!
- Once upon a time in the land of cheese and sunkist
- The Weight Loss Surgery Channel See my show WLS Journeys!
- The World According to Eggface Awesome stuff!
- WLSFA.org (Please join today) Join the WLSFA!
Bariatric Girl's Favorite Products
- A Product Name
- Bariatric Eating Peanut Butter Cookie Protein WOW is this good!
- BariMart Shop for all supplements bariatric!
- Premier Protein Convenient to take anywhere!
Call to undefined function get_flickrRSS()