You’ve lost the weight, why aren’t you happy?
Posted on 09/26/2010 by Yvonne McCarthy / No Comments / Leave a Comment »
I look at the person I photographed in Cabo San Lucas. Is the lady happy standing out there on the beach? Maybe…or maybe not. Some might question “How could she not be happy standing on the beach and looking at that beautiful sunrise?” Well the truth is that some people would be standing out there complaining about the sand in between their shoes.
Some might also question “How could you not be happy after losing 100, 200, 300 or more pounds?” For people that haven’t lived that situation they couldn’t possibly understand why some of us aren’t.
We needed to address why we self-medicated with food before we got to this phase but we certainly have to NOW. Why do you think that only having a thin body would make you happy? Think about a friend who has been thin all their lives. I’m pretty sure they don’t jump out of bed in the morning screaming “OH WOW, I’M SO HAPPY BECAUSE I’M THIN!” They are just like everyone else trying to live their life the best they can with the best attitude they can.
HAVE YOU REALLY FORGOTTEN WHERE YOU CAME FROM?
Perhaps one of the most useful rituals I do each morning is a walking meditation with my dog. “I am truly grateful for my thin healthy body” (that’s the first one followed by many more) While I’m saying that I see myself the night before surgery. I remember exactly where I was and I remember to be grateful for where I am today. Is post-op life hard? It is if you believe it is. Wasn’t it hard to live in your pre-surgery body? Some of us just can’t help ourselves from looking over that fence thinking the grass is greener. I have been discussing this lately but if you really REALLY think about it why do you believe that what you want is always in a place you cannot have? What is the point in that? I will say this again….you have to decide the grass is green enough for right now and when you do, you totally forget to want to climb that fence because even if you do, there’s just another fence waiting on the other side. Do you want to enjoy where you are or spend your life climbing fences?
I have found that when I start to see the green grass all around me that the fences fall down because they don’t matter anymore. After spending 30 years of wanting to be “not obese”, I am done with concentrating on what I don’t have and ready to enjoy what I have! The magic that happens is that you open yourself to the new stuff that can come into your life because your energy isn’t tied up on useless endeavors.
Open your life to new experience. Quit spending your time concentrating on what you don’t have and remember how far you’ve come. I promise it will make a difference!
Love and Light,
Leave a Comment on Facebook
Who is Bariatric Girl?
Musician, Artist, Photographer,computer geek and weight loss surgery aficionado. On March 30th, 2001, I had weight loss surgery weighing in at 260 pounds. Since that day I have lost and maintained a 130 pound loss. Yoga and walking my dog were the only exercise I was getting until I started with an instructor and creator of "Body Juggling". Click on the picture on the bottom of this page and it will take you to the site. Read More »
Search Bariatric Girl
Bariatric Girl's Favorites
- "All of Me" the movie The ‘Girls’ have been friends for years, bonding over hopes, dreams, food, and the shared experience of being obese. But, now, as some pursue weight-loss surgery, their center has shifted and upset everything they knew about happiness, friendship, and lov
- A book you MUST get! Thriving! TRIUMPH over TRAUMA Thriving! Truimph over Trauma
- Banded Living with Gloria and Sandi Wonderful lap band site
- Bariatric After Life Check out Cari’s blog!
- Bariatric Daily
- Bariatric Eating
- Bariatric Pal Great site!
- Bariatric Regain Facebook Page
- Bariatric Surgery Source
- Bariatric TV Great Bariatric TV!
- BariatricGirl Facebook Page Join my facebook page!
- Food Coach Me – Bariatric Recipes Great bariatric recipes!
- Frank's Place
- Get Help Get Happy Dr. Connie Stapleton!
- Lap Band Gal
- Mary Jo Rapini
- Obesity Action Coalition
- Obesity Help Been hanging out for 10 years!
- Once upon a time in the land of cheese and sunkist
- The Weight Loss Surgery Channel See my show WLS Journeys!
- The World According to Eggface Awesome stuff!
- WLSFA.org (Please join today) Join the WLSFA!
Call to undefined function get_flickrRSS()
0 Comments on “You’ve lost the weight, why aren’t you happy?”
This post came from my previous blog. If you’d like to see the previous comments you can find them here: